The Friends of Loudoun Kirk was established in 1994 to restore and preserve the partially ruined Loudoun Kirk and it’s environs
The Kirk was originally thought to have been built around 1451 but after thorough research evidence now shows it was built around 1189.
Restored to some degree by the 3rd Marquis of Bute in 1898, the kirk became the burial vault for many of the members of the families in Loudoun Castle and after some punitive attempts at repairs, the kirk was left in danger of becoming derelict.
The state of the building was noted by two men, the late James Mair and John McGill, both interested in preserving this historical building and in 1994 saw the birth of FOLK (Friends of Loudoun Kirk)
Copyright Friends of Loudoun Kirk © 2018